Visitors:

Friday, March 23, 2007

Awww Hail

There's something liberating about having a terrible blog that no one reads. In a way, I feel closer to CJ and JohnnyB.

Today, I got back from my trip to Massachusetts, and about two hours later, it began to lightning. I had just picked up all the toys outside. Then, the thunder arrived. Then hail. Not big, nasty, roof- and car-destroying hail. Just 1/2"-1" hail that makes a lot of noise on the windows.

I love thunder and lighting. 11 years in the San Schmose area deprived me of the big electrical storms. They are so exciting!

In the middle of the storm, The Mrs. sent me into the garage to throw a bunch of garbage in the big garbage can. I noticed that the floor was beginning to flood under one of the doors. I opened the door, and I noted that the gutter was overflowing like crazy right there, dumping a massive waterfall down, and it was coming in under the door.

I checked the downspout that was a mere six feet away. Almost nothing coming out. Uh oh. Something is plugged up.

I go inside to get a raincoat and to announce to the fambly that I am about to go outside and climb up a ladder in an electrical storm. But don't worry, I'll use the fiberglass framed ladder rather than the aluminum ones. I should note that this gutter runs across the front of the garage on the eve just above the doors. It's the lowest gutter on the house. It's not like I'm getting up on the second story or anything.

I go back and start to remove the fiberglass extension ladder from the hooks on the wall. It is tough going, as they're not actually ladder hooks on which is hanging, and thus the opening between the top of the hook and the wall is slightly less wide than the ladder rail. During this time, The Mrs. and HannahC have processed my information and have decided they are opposed to the plan. The both come into the garage barking orders about how I'm not allowed to climb the extension ladder during an electrical storm.

Especially not right now when the delay between the lightning and the thunder is effectively zero, meaning the storm is directly overhead. What a couple of wusses. But I have to listen or risk chastisement for the rest of my life and then some.

So I put the ladder back on the hooks. I instead get out a footstool that is actually the bottom half of a chair that the back broke off. Standing on that, I can reach into the gutter. I reach up right at the top of the downspout, and I find a ball lodged there. A smallish, green rubber ball reminiscent of a raquet ball, but slightly smaller. A hand ball?

I pull out the ball with an air of triumph, show it to the ladies, and say, "There. All fixed." A massive amount of water is now flowing out the downspout, and the waterfall over the edge of the gutter has stopped. I put the stool back.

Then I notice that the waterfall has started up again. I check the downspout, and it is down to a trickle again. Hmmm.

This time, it was a tennis ball.

I waited a while to assure no more balls were going to show up. Balls usually come in pairs, I guess.

I think I now know why there was such an ice damn in the very spot of the waterfall during the winter.

Ahhh...weather. I LOVE IT!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'd prefer if you move your weather blogs to your regular blog so i don't have to look at two differnt blogs. it's all the same crap either way.

CherkyB said...

First, no one actually cares what you prefer. Not me, not your wife, not your kids, no one. Don't forget that.

Second, I can't merge the two blogs because the crap I post here is too low-quality to be on the real blog. Why don't you just learn to use an RSS feed reader, you BDF.